Achievements / Statistics
2020, a year of achievements for 57357 despite the world pandemic
Meaningful figures for CCHE performance in 2020
Last year, just as the whole world was facing difficult circumstances because of the Corona pandemic, Hospital 57357 too, was struggling hard to overcome the adverse effects of the crisis, delivering the same quality services to an increasing number of patients despite a sharp decline of donations. Throughout this period, it succeeded to protect its patients and staff and to improve cure rates to reach 71.7% versus 71.2% in 2019.
As we were facing the Corona virus, we were committed to delivering the same quality care and hospital performance while taking all precautionary measures to protect our children and our staff. As such, we established an equipped isolation department for children patients, staff and families hit by Corona as well as a chest clinic. During 2020, we received 3,673 Corona cases. As our experience was growing, we started to participate in research work about the Corona virus and its effect on cancer patients.
Following are meaningful figures for CCHE performance in 2020:
- The number of beds was increased with 40 more beds to double the number that the Hospital started with in 2007, to become 360 beds.
- The Hospital received 3356 new cases, 48 cases more than in 2019. The number of sick children actively visiting the Hospital reached 16,647 cases and the average overall survival rate, until December 31, 2020 reached 71.7%, noting that the cancer treatment period may last two to three years, and its cost is as high as 600,000 and 700,000 EGP for leukemia and up to 500,000 EGP for brain cancer.
- The Hospital’s outpatient clinics received 149,260 patients, while the emergency department received 22,528 cases.
- Through the Hospital’s well-equipped laboratories, 1,614,934 tests were performed with high accuracy and speed, as the labs were upgraded to include the world’s latest equipment and are managed by a highly qualified and trained medical team.
- The Hospital performed 71,191 x-rays and medical imaging, 20,000 of which are chest imaging for Corona patients.
- Using latest radiotherapy equipment and technics, the Hospital performed 28,323 radiotherapy sessions.
- In clinical pharmacy, the Hospital provided 2,600,937 chemotherapy doses, prepared and given to patients according to world sterilization standards, using most accurate and latest equipment.
- The Hospital performed 4,464 surgeries, 1,190 of which were neurosurgeries and 65 bone marrow transplantations.
- Despite difficult circumstances, the Hospital launched a new in-patient treatment building in the vicinity of the hospital to accommodate an increasing number of patients.
- The Hospital pursued its up grading and renewal projects to offer the latest equipment: 1,014 new pieces of equipment were acquired including a mass spectrometer and infusion and syringes pumps.
- 2020 witnessed the highest rate of research papers release, where 67 papers were released in cooperation with Egyptian and international universities, and were published in international scientific journals, 36 of which were released by the basic research department.
- As we are committed to training, education, and preparing a new generation of qualified professional cadres, the Hospital pursued the provision of education and training programs.
- The seventh cohort of the joint 57357/DFBC pediatric oncology fellowship program is starting their training in cooperation with Dana Farber Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard University.
- 120 students have completed the Joint Commission International, JCI diploma.
- The third cohort of the resident pharmacist program is now studying for the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, ASHP accreditation.
- New training programs have been added, such as the radiotherapy fellowship, clinical innovation fellowship, resident doctor program in clinical pathology and the resident doctor program in radiotherapy.
- Currently we are working in full capacity to complete our expansion projects which will enable us to eliminate waiting lists.
- We are getting ready to open the cyber knife building, which is a new innovative technology for surgical radiotherapy that remarkably reduce the side effects of the usual radiotherapy.
- The Hospital is exerting mega efforts to finish one of its most important expansion projects, the new outpatient clinics building.
Yet, we still have many dreams to achieve, and the most important of them is to reach the developed world average overall survival rate of 80-85%.
On behalf of our children who are receiving treatment and those who have recovered, we express our gratitude to each and every one who supported us. “Whoever saves a life, it would be as though he saved the lives of all humans”.
And be steadfast in prayer and steady in charity: And whatever good ye send forth for your souls before you, ye shall find it with Allah: for Allah sees Well all that ye do.
For those who give for Charity, men and women, and loan to Allah a Beautiful Loan, it shall be increased manifold (to their credit), and they shall have (besides) a generous reward.