Emergency Department (ED) Renovation
The Emergency Department is the only place offering specialized emergency care for 57357 patients since the hospital’s inception in 2007 till the present (about 26000 patients ) as part of the hospital’s care and responsibility towards them.
ED journey over the 14 years (2007 – 2021)
2 ED rooms + 6 boarding beds
With the increase in patients’ survival rates, ED had to expand into 7 rooms (previously Outpatient clinics ) + 7 boarding beds
ED 2020 Big challenge
- In 2020, we faced a number of challenges because of the increasing number of patients requesting the rapid intervention of the Emergency Department: a messy patient flow which delayed the ED services for patients and affected patient care to the degree that we had more than 5 kids with their mothers in 1 room as seen in the following pictures:
- Since the hospital inception in 2007, the ED has seen the number of cases increase 10 times over the years with a present average of 60-70 patients daily. Despite annexing a small area belonging to the out-patient clinics in 2013 and maximum efforts exerted to improve the efficiency of the department along the years, our problems are resurfacing.
- A messy patient flow, delayed services, over crowdedness, and difficulty in applying infection control standards, are threatening the lives of patients and complicating the work and rescue action of the caregivers.
To overcome these challenges, there is a pressing need for a renovation of the ED in terms of capacity and design restructure to enable a rapid, smooth, and safe patient flow. As such, we will be better armed to meet the needs of both our patients and our staff, to administer care efficiently, and to improve the outcomes of our cancer patients.
Existing Design vs. New Proposal
- Indoor waiting area increased from 26 m2 to 55 m2
- Our new landscape design will provide an additional outdoor waiting area for ED patients around 125 m2
Is Now taking place in an open room within the waiting area with a curtain for privacy.
In the new design, it will be a closed room separate from waiting area very close to ED entrance to avoid any delay in patient transfer and will be expanded from…8…..to…14.5…m2
Is Now located in a small area away from the assessment area
In the New proposal
- will also be expanded from 6.8 to 12 m2
- New location will be very close to assessment room to avoid any delay during patient transfer
- Currently, the floating doctor & nurse stand in the waiting area with no private room.
- The new design provides a private room for assessment right next to the hectic waiting area.
New bigger and well equipped Sampling room (2 sampling recliner)
The current Emergency department, was previously serving as regular clinics, all patients are supervised behind closed rooms.
The new design offers a standard open view cubicles for ease and immediate supervision by our medical staff.
Currently, our medical staff does not have a direct eye supervision with our kids. All paper work has to be done in a small room that was once used as an office.
The new design offers two Nurse Stations with wide view to enable staff to supervise & work in parallel.
Currently, we have only 2 single rooms without separate Bathrooms.
The newly designed Isolation Rooms enhance the quality and infection control standards. A strict Air- Lock entrance as well as separate WCs will be introduced.