- In order to have the optimum outcome, our service has been equipped with the state-of-the-art technology in the field of neurosurgical oncology.
- Our Diagnostic Equipment Include: 3T MRI scanner with functional and DTI capabilities, PET scan and Multislice CT scanner.
- Our operative theater is equipped with:
- Image-guidance equipment:
- Both optical and electromagnetic Navigation systems equipped with tractography and functional software for accurate delineation of tumors and eloquent areas.
- Frameless stereotactic equipment for accurate less invasive biopsy procedures.
- Intra operative Ultrasound: A handy instrument that shows the amount of tumor removed in specific tumors that have that in addition to other functions like tapping cystic lesions and tapping the ventricles.
- Intra operative Low-field MRI. In less than 15 min a new MRI scan can be acquired intraoperatively in certain tumors to show the amount of tumor removed and the remaining tissue. Images are resend to the navigation device to aid the surgeons in detecting any residual tumor tissues.
- State-of-the-art Floating microscope, equipped with:
- Blue light for 5-ALA detection: a molecule that is taken up by tumor cells in order to differentiate between them and normal brain tissue.
- Infrared camera for Indocyanine green: it clearly shows the blood vessels, either surrounding or supplying the tumor. It is specially important in highly vascular tumors such as hemangioblastomas.
- Ultra-high definition Endoscopic equipment for:
- Ventriculoscopy: It helps in biopsy from tumor tissue, and creating another pathway for the cerebrospinal fluid in cases with tumors obstructing the natural pathway. Recently we have been using it to remove intraventricular lesions.
- Endonasal approaches: which are minimally invasive approaches to the tumors of the pituitary and the skull base
- Assisted-endoscopic craniotomy procedures: We use the endoscope to fetch for remaining tumor tissue residing in areas that we cannot see by the microscope.
- Intra operative electrophysiological studies for continues intraoperative monitoring:
- Intra operative MEPs, SSEPs and EMGs (to check the integrity of the nerve fibers transmitting impulses to the muscles and from the lower limbs)
- Intraoperative Cortical brain mapping (to let us know functioning (areas responsible of movement and speech) and non functioning areas in the brain during surgery).