Patient centered communication course
Communication in a healthcare setting is one of the most important tools we have for providing great patient care and improving patient outcomes. This interactive, practice-based program will help you develop skills to communicate effectively with patients, caregivers and healthcare providers to facilitate the achievement of optimal patient outcomes and build strong patient relationships. All aspects of professional communication including gathering, organizing, conveying and documenting patient-related information will be addressed
By the end of course all participants will be able to:
• Describe the importance of communication skills in meeting patient care responsibilities.
• Effectively approach and obtain a comprehensive medical and medication history from a patient or caregiver.
• Elicit therapeutic information from the patient or caregiver, including using appropriate tools to assess medication adherence
• Provide patient education for prescription medications, including implementing effective strategies to address non-adherence.
• Apply principles of health behavior change counseling techniques (e.g., motivational interviewing) when communicating with patients about health behavior change.
• Develop a patient-centered assessment and therapeutic plan
• Use effective oral communication strategies to relay a patient-centered assessment and plan to a pharmacist preceptor or physician.
• Effectively communicate and collaborate with patients, caregivers, and other health care professionals involved with the patient’s care.
• Display verbal and non-verbal mannerisms that promote empathetic, respectful and compassionate communication.
• Appropriately document patient-specific information in health records, including documentation of developed assessment and plans in the medical record using SOAP notes.
|August 10th 20:00 – 22:00||Welcome and course overview||2 hours live|
|Pre-Work for Aug 12th Session Professional Communication lecture Counseling a Patient lecture||3 hours online|
|August 12th 20:00 – 22:30||Live Class Meeting Activity Session – Professional communication and Patient counseling||2.5 hours live|
|Pre-Work for Aug 12th Session Taking a Medical History lecturePractice assessment #1 with CCHE preceptors||3 hours online|
|August 14th 18:00 – 20:30||Live Class Meeting Assessment #1 – Counseling a patient on a medication Activity Session – Taking a medical history||2.5 hours live|
|Pre-Work for Aug 17th Session Taking a Medication History lecture Practice assessment #2 with CCHE preceptors||3 hours online|
|August 17th 20:00 – 22:30||Live Class Meeting Assessment #2 – Medical History Activity Session – Taking a Medication history||2.5 hours live|
|Pre-Work SOAP notes LecturePresenting a patient case lecturePractice assessment #3 with CCHE preceptors||3 hours online|
|August 19th 20:00 – 22:30||Live Class Session Assessment #3 – Taking a Medication History Activity Session – SOAP notes and Presenting a patient case||2.5 hours live|
|Pre-Work Medication Adherence – Barriers to Adherence Medication Reconciliation and Talking to a healthcare providerPractice assessment #4 with CCHE preceptor||3 hours online|
|August 21st 18:00 – 20:30||Live Class Session Assessment #4 –SOAP notes and Presenting a patient Activity Session – Medication Adherence and Reconciliation||2.5 hours live|
*All live sessions will be conducted via zoom*
Jodie Malhotra , PharmD
Director of professional and international development, Skaggs, school of pharmacy, Colorado university
Ashley Huntsberry, PharmD, BCACP
Assistant Professor, Skaggs, school of pharmacy, Colorado university
|Ahmed Anwar||Pharm D Program Director|
|Sally fikry||Residency program Director|
|Emad Ezzat||Clinical pharmacy Education supervisor|
|Loay Eldeeb||Outpatient clinics supervisor|
|Mohamed Galal||Drug information center Director|
|Mohamed Nagy||Personalized medication management unit director|
|Amr Kashef||Infectious disease pharmacy Supervisor|
|Nermeen Ezzat||Clinical nutrition pharmacy supervisor|
|Begad Mohamed||Extemporaneous preparation unit supervisor|
|Menna Shehab||Bone marrow transplant pharmacy supervisor|
Course Fees and Registration
For Group starting 10 participants and more